Tuesday, July 18, 2017

George Romero, 1940-2017

Some years ago I read Annie Dillard’s An American Childhood.  Dillard is an excellent writer, and the book was wonderful, but one item I remember is that her father was an extra in “Night of the Living Dead.”  That stuck with me.

I taught a course in political films at San Jose State, and I took an expansive view of what constituted a “political film”; the course included “invasion of the Body Snatchers.”  While I didn’t use it, “Night of the Living Dead” was definitely a political film.

If you recall, a calm take-charge black guy (Duane Jones) saves a farmhouse full of stupid white people.  In the end, the local citizenry (Western Pennsylvania rural gun owner types) destroy him.  Is that a metaphor for current politics or what? 


Romero went on to direct other horror films, including “Dawn of the Dead,” set in a mall.  HIs films were always interesting, always scary, although perhaps not as scary as life under President Trump.

No comments:

Post a Comment