Monday, July 31, 2017

Old people

In the 1990s, when I came back from California in summer to stay with my father, I would comment about all of the old people.  You’d go to McDonalds or the grocery store or Rite-Aid, and everybody would be old.  

20 years later there are even more old people, and, OMG, I’m one of them.  

Sen. Gene Yaw is the Chair of the Center for Rural Pennsylvania.  In the recent Center report, Sen. Yaw notes that Pennsylvania has the fifth largest population of people 65 years old and older.  Partly this is a function of sheer numbers of people.  California, New York, Florida, and Texas all have more old people than Pennsylvania.

On the other hand, if you look at percentage of oldsters, we are right up there with West Virginia and Maine.  


Here is something to ponder.  If you were a 22-year-old college grad, would you stay in Pennsylvania?  I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment