Saturday, July 8, 2017

Ms., Miss, or Mrs.

In the 1950s my mom was not only identified as Mrs. Christman, she was also often identified as Mrs. Elwood Christman.  She had no identity other than being a wife of my dad.  

Sheila Michaels, a civil rights organizer, New York cabdriver, and technical editor who died this week, changed all that.  Ms. Michaels was largely responsible for the use of Ms. as an honorific rather than Miss (for single women) and Mrs. (for married women).  Men, of course, were always identified as Mr., whether single, married, widowed, or divorced.

I remember in the Sixties being flummoxed on how to address women I didn’t know well, and trying to find out if they were married.  I was so relieved when I learned I could use Ms.  Today that is so natural.  


Thank you Sheila Michaels.  You made life easier for women...and for men.

No comments:

Post a Comment