Monday, August 7, 2017

Democratic Party Slogan

A few days ago Sen. Chuck Schumer offered as a new slogan for the Democratic Party.  His slogan, “A Better Deal,” fell flat.  Not inspiring.  Blasé.  Meaningless.  

The New York Times asked its readers to submit something better, and on Sunday, it published some of the suggestions.  Here are just a few:

“The Real Deal.”  The author who suggested this noted that Democrats know how to deliver on health care, job growth, banking protections, and equality under the law.

“For the People.”  The author of this one compared this to the “Square Deal” of Teddy Roosevelt, the “New Deal” of FDR, and the “Fair Deal” of Truman.

“Make America Great Again.”  The letter writer noted this would get free media exposure, point out Trump’s failures, and make Trump supporter’s heads explode.

“BetterTogether.”  Notice no space.  Very trendy.  The writer noted that this addresses the deep divisions that have inhibited our ability to govern.  

“For the Many, Not the Few.”  I think that one is too long.

“Draw the Circle Wide.”  The author of this one says it is from an old hymn:  “Draw the circle, draw the circle wide.  No one stands alone, we’ll stand side by side.”  I kind of like that.

“It’s My Party, and I’ll Cry if I Want To.”  Leslie Gore did it first, but this author said it expressed her general frustration with the Democratic Party.


“Let’s kick Trump’s ass.”  That’s mine.

3 comments:

  1. It's hard to say what will resonate with voters. I tend to with "For the people"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? You didn't like "Let's kick Trump's ass."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love yours, Roy. But if I was in marketing, I'd prefer "For the People" as well. It makes a nice chant at a rally.

    ReplyDelete