Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Monsanto: Evil Company

I know that in a capitalist system, corporations have no morality.  They are incorporated so that no individual can be held liable for the actions of the corporation.  Britain is more honest about it, where instead for incorporated, the word is limited.  What is limited is liability.
Nonetheless, in the U.S., certain corporations have a culture that stands out for bad behavior.  Phillip Morris, Wells Fargo, Uber, Fox News, and Dow Chemical spring to mind.  

Then there is Monsanto.  An article in today’s Times details how Monsanto drafted articles purported to be “scientific research” backing the use of glyphosate, the main ingredient in Roundup.  

I do not buy Roundup, even though I have lots of poison ivy that needs killing.  I would rather let the poison ivy grow than support that company.  Unfortunately, like so many things I do, my boycott is rather ineffectual when measured against Monsanto’s clout.


[If you want to read the article describing Monsanto’s influence, it is by Danny Hakim, “Monsanto’s Research Sway Is Seen in Disclosed Emails,”  New York Times, (Aug. 2, 2017), p. B-5.]

No comments:

Post a Comment