Monday, August 28, 2017

Pipeline protests and police overtime

Seven Pennsylvania Senators, all in the pockets of the gas industry, have introduced SB 754, a bill to force people arrested in pipeline protests to pay for overtime for police or other law enforcement personal.

The main sponsor of the bill, Senator Scott Martin of Lancaster County, has close ties to pipeline lobbyists.  

Last Friday we saw the Mariner East pipeline in Lancaster County and took some pictures of the destruction visited on farmers’ fields.  I hope it was legal to snap photos of fracking gas pipelines, but in the current climate, I’m not so sure.

SB 754 is blatantly unconstitutional (See the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution), but that doesn’t seem to matter these days.

(I want to thank my friend Tom for alerting me to this travesty.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment