Thursday, August 10, 2017

Gerrymandering petition at the Carbon County Fair

I thought we had a winner this year at the Democratic Party booth at the Carbon County Fair.  Voters say they want the two parties to work together.  Polls show that gerrymandering is looked upon with disfavor.  

I had a map enlarged of the worst gerrymandered district in the state, I had a poster made that said both Republicans and Democrats did it, but all of us could stop it, and I had petitions run off for people to sign.  

It didn’t work.  Thousands of people walked by our booth, but so far we collected only about 30 signatures.  It turns out that people don’t know what “gerrymandering” involves, and they aren’t interested in learning.  It is something political, and they want no part of whatever it is we are doing.  

They do stop in at the Republican booth across the way for peanuts.  I thought the Republicans would hide their Trump signs, but no, they have them out front, and the passers-by seem pleased with that.  


I guess I am one of those East Coast elitists you hear so much about, but I got to say that I no longer understand my fellow citizens or their political beliefs.  It is discouraging.  I see U.S. democracy in decline, and my fellow citizens are oblivious.

4 comments:

  1. People are like animals. Sprinkle a little food and they will head to the slaughter pens. Shows their ignorance to everything. Only the educated know what gerrymandering is all about. Most voters do not even have the slightest clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerrymandering is done by those elected to keep a specific political party or person the ability to stay in office. Term Limits removes most of it, the people need to do the rest.

    https://youtu.be/0TiVCtdGPGA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerrymandering is done by those elected to keep a specific political party or person the ability to stay in office. Term Limits removes most of it, the people need to do the rest.

    https://youtu.be/0TiVCtdGPGA

    ReplyDelete