Sunday, August 20, 2017

"Detroit"

I’m one of those people who complain that Hollywood doesn’t make enough serious movies.  There are way too many gross-out films like “Hangover 8,” and way too many comic book films like “Spiderman 7.” 

I must confess to a certain amount of hypocrisy.  I read the reviews about “Detroit.”  I knew it was a serious film about a major event in U.S. history.  Good cast, amazingly good director, who happened to be a woman.  And it was playing at our local theater.

Nonetheless, I didn’t go to see it.  I couldn’t bear to watch the execution of three black guys in the Algiers Motel.  I know it happened.  John Hersey wrote a book about it.  I just couldn’t bear to watch it.

Neither, it turns out, could most movie goers.  “Detroit” has been a major disaster at the box office.  At this point it may not even make a profit.

I bought three tickets to the film because I think it is important that Hollywood make serious films about serious issues.  I just don’t want to see them.

To compound my hypocrisy, I did see the latest Spiderman film.

No comments:

Post a Comment