Sunday, February 18, 2018

The government of Wakanda

I see movies from the perspective of a political scientist.  I can’t help it.  It’s who I am.  So what I can’t figure out in “Black Panther” is why Wakanda, with its high-speed rail system, its medical breakthroughs, its gender equality, and its fantastic weaponry, still picks its rulers by hand-to-hand combat among royal families members.

Wouldn’t they have some sort of democratic method of picking their leaders?  Even a technocratic or academic system of ruler selection would be better than two guys duking it out in knee-deep water above a falls.  


I foresee a sequel, “Black Panther II,” in which the common ordinary people of Wakanda perform acts of civil disobedience, demanding the right to organize and participate in free elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment