Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Wild Polio Eradicated in Africa

 The Republican Convention is underway, but I can’t bear to watch it.  I know it will feature nasty people lying and saying mean things.  So instead of writing about that, I thought I’d say something positive.

Wild polio has been eradicated in Africa.  “Future generations of African children can live free of wild poliovirus,” according to Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, the World Health Organization’s director for Africa.  


You can still get polio in Africa, but it is a strain that is derived from insufficient vaccinations.  It occurs when not all children in an area are vaccinated, and the virus mutates and affects children who have not received the vaccination.


I am generally opposed to cruel and unusual punishment, but I think anti-vaxxers should be lined up and forced to listen to Trump speeches until they beg for mercy.


Information for this post was taken from Ruth MacClean, “Africa Cheers As Wild Polio Is Eradicated,” New York Times, (Aug. 25, 2020), p. A9.

No comments:

Post a Comment