Monday, February 1, 2021

Making ice cream

 We bought one of those old-fashioned ice cream freezers some years ago.  It is basically a wooden bucket with a canister that fits inside.  A crank mechanism turns a “dasher inside the canister.  

You put the ice cream mixture (whole milk, half and half, whipping cream, sugar, a bit of salt, and vanilla) outside for about a half an hour to cool, then dump it in the canister.  You pack ice mixed with salt around the canister.  Salt is required because ice by itself won’t be cold enough  Don’t use table salt; get the kind you use to melt snow on sidewalks. 

Then you turn the crank until it is really hard to turn, which means the mixture is ready.  It has the consistency of soft ice cream, but you can then scrape out contents of the canister into plastic dishes and freeze it.  (Or, if you can’t wait, you can eat it soft.)

On Saturday we used the freezer for the first time and made four quarts, and it is delicious.  According to the directions, you can also add ingredients like peaches or strawberries.  We’ll do that next time.

4 comments:

  1. Roy, you are making me hungry for some homemade Ice Cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time we make some, I'll give you a call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a Cuisinart ice cream maker that I hadn't used in years. When I started dating my now-wife, I brought it out and used it a few times. Incredible. Then one day I overfilled it when making a batch of peach ice cream. It overflowed and got into the guts of it and broke it. I'm still heartbroken about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you have some work you need done on your computer?
    :::wink, wink:::

    ReplyDelete