Friday, February 19, 2021

Stick with me kid, and you’ll learn all kinds of things.  Today’s lesson is on potatoes. 

Every year I plant potatoes.  Usually Red Norlands, Russetts, Yukon Golds, and French Fingerlings.  Potatoes are one of the most versatile vegetables you can grow.  They can be cooked, fried, baked, mashed, or riced.  They can be eaten raw.  I think you can make vodka out of them, though I never tried that.  They keep for a long time; we are still eating potatoes we harvested last fall.  


You can plant them in towers.  You can buy the towers, some of which are very expensive.  Even worse, many are made of plastic.  Wal-Mart sells them to suckers.


My friend Tom, who knows more about farming and gardening than anyone I’ve known, pointed out that potato plants do not produce unlimited amounts.  If you have good soil and enough water, you will harvest the same amount of potatoes planted in the ground as you would in a tower, and you don’t need to buy the tower. 


On the other hand, if you are trying to grow potatoes in your apartment in the city, then you might look into a tower, although it would be easier to buy them at the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment