Monday, March 29, 2021

Solitary confinement

 Here is the 8th Amendment in its entirety:  “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.”  

Today I read about a man in Florida who spent 18 years in solitary confinement (no windows, no contact) for a crime he committed when he was 13.

If James Madison came back, I think he would say, “What part of cruel and unusual don’t you understand.”  A punishment like that is not what a civilized country does.  This is unacceptable.

2 comments:

  1. The Center for Constitutional Rights won a 10 year fight to abolish solitary confinement in the California state prison system. The most aggressive opponent was Kamala Harris, go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry, but if "anonymous continues to be anonymous, I will have to delete the comments. I have no idea whether this is correct, and I don't think that solitary confinement is always a terrible punishment. If someone is given that punishment for two weeks, that may be a suitable punishment. There are degrees. Two weeks, ok. 18 years, not ok.

    ReplyDelete