Friday, December 1, 2023

Double Decker Records shutting down

Double Decker Records is a store in Allentown that sells record albums.  Thousands of record albums–rock, country, jazz, classical, oldies–just about everything.  I love that store, and as you might guess I still play albums.  


Tomorrow Double Decker is closing its doors after 27 years.  The owner is retiring; the records are going to a store in Pittsburgh, and I am bereft.  I went down today and bought a Charles Mingus triple album set of his Atlantic recordings and an album of Monty Python bits.


I’ve been told I can buy LPs on-line.  I don’t want to buy on-line.  I want to flip through the albums, run my hands over them, enjoy the physicality of them.  I don’t want some tinny sound out of cell phone or some plastic thingee stuck in my ear.


Just to be nice I’ll give you a list for your YouTube listening pleasure:  Almost Paradise by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson (from “Footloose”)

Is this love? by Whitesnake

Heaven isn’t too far away by Warrent

High enough by Damn Yankees

Break it to me gently by Brenda Lee


Best to listen in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment