Saturday, December 16, 2023

How America Ends and Begins Again

Sometimes when I was teaching at San José State I would come across an article and I would think, my students have got to read this.  It was easy–I would use the office copier, make copies for everybody in the class, pass them out, and tell the students the material would be on the test.


I would like to do that for Sherrilyn Ifill’s essay entitled “How America Ends and Begins Again” published in the December 21 issue of the New York Review of Books.  Ifill is a civil rights lawyer who served as President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund from 2013 to 2022.  She is currently a Visiting Professor at Harvard Law School.


Go to New York Review of Books and find her article.  You have to register, but it is free and you can read (and print) the whole article.  Ifill explains how America has had three beginnings.  She thinks that after Trump, we will have a fourth.  


I am not as optimistic as she is, but what an essay.  You have got to read this.  The material will be on the test.  I wouldn’t mind hearing some comments as well.

2 comments:

  1. You were my teacher--and a great one--and you're still teaching me. So if you think I should read this, I'll read it. In fact, I just saved it and am about to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you found it as compelling as I did.

    ReplyDelete