Monday, December 4, 2023

Undependable ally

If I were president or prime minister of a country allied to the United States, I would urge the scientific community in my country to develop a nuclear capability.  I would not trust the U.S. to honor its commitments and come to my defense, even if my country and the U.S. had a mutual defense treaty.  The U.S. is not a dependable ally.  


When the U.S. left Vietnam, we also left thousands of Vietnamese who worked for and with the U.S.  Some escaped by boat, but many were sent to “re-education camps” and horribly mistreated.  We again left thousands of Afghans who aided the U.S. military effort stranded in Afghanistan in our hurry to get out.  And now our Ukrainian allies are left in the lurch because our Republican legislators won’t honor our commitments and seem more interested in sucking up to Putin than in defending Ukraine’s right to independence.  We are simply not dependable.  


Taiwan, South Korea, and even Japan should take note.  Develop your own retaliatory capabilities.  Deter your potential enemies with your own weaponry.  You cannot rely on the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment