Sunday, November 7, 2021

Bobwhite quail

 When I was about ten I could do a fairly good imitation of a whippoorwill or a bobwhite quail.  I have not heard either of those birds since I returned to Pennsylvania in 2002.  Now the Pennsylvania Game Commission is attempting to reestablish wild populations of bobwhite quail in the state.  The first effort will be made at the Letterkenny Army Depot in Franklin County beginning in 2023.  

Why did they disappear?  The Game Commission thinks it is because of habitat loss and changes in agricultural practices.  I know that hay-making procedures do not resemble those used when I was a teenager.  And I can show you many rural areas on Towamensing that now grow only houses.  

I wish the Game Commission well, and I hope they don’t forget whippoorwills.

No comments:

Post a Comment