Sunday, November 28, 2021

"I did my own research"

 That was the message on some of the tombstones that people put in their yards as part of their Halloween decorations.  This brings up the question–should we troll the people who urged others not to get the Covid vaccines and then died of Covid?

According to an article in today’s Times, this has been happening with some regularity to people who use their social media messages to urge others not to get vaccinated or to spread misinformation and then die of Covid.

The ethics of this are questionable.  It is true that people who are urging others not to get a life-saving vaccine are culpable in the deaths of those who takes their advice.  Nonetheless, people who spread misinformation and then die usually have relatives or friends who are grieving their loss.  

I do have to admit a certain amount of schadenfreude when I hear about one of these cases.  It is hard not to celebrate when selfish people get their comeuppance.  Nonetheless, my advice would be to keep your “I told you so” to yourself.  

See Dan Levin, “Draping the Dead With Their Scorn,” New York Times, (Nov. 28, 2021), p. ST10.

1 comment:

  1. My feelings about people who are anti vaxers are, you have had more than ample opportunities to get the vaccine, so if you get covid, please don't go to the hospital and take up a space that is needed by someone who really needs the bed. Stay home and take your hydroxychlorquine, Ivermectin and don't forget to drink your bleach. Maybe you survive and maybe your tombstone will say "I did my Own Research." Like I said, you have had more than ample opportunity to change your outcome!

    ReplyDelete