Sunday, October 13, 2024

Canvassing in Weissport

Weissport is a tiny borough on the edge of the Lehigh River in Carbon County.  It is home to a wonderful ice cream store, a small restaurant which makes excellent breakfasts and lunches, but closes at 1 p.m., a very good pizza joint, and Rep. Doyle Heffley’s office.  Like most towns in Carbon County, it has a drug problem, but little kids also ride their bikes around town without fear.  


We canvassed Weissport on Saturday and Sunday.  We found quite a few Harris supporters, although they don’t advertise it with signs and flags like the Trumpists do.  We did not go to houses with Trump signs, and we did encounter some meanness.  When I talked to one Democrat who was voting for Trump, I said I just can’t imagine deporting 13 million people.  She said, “We let them in, didn’t we?”  I ended that contact.


I also met a Democrat in her seventies who said Biden ruined the economy.  I mentioned the economy was strong, and she came back with “I know what groceries cost.”


Only one guy hurled insults and curse words at us, but we also got a mail-in ballot application from a bed-ridden Harris supporter who wouldn’t have voted if we hadn’t canvassed.  Since we visited fewer than 100 people, that is more than one percent.  That’s why we canvass

No comments:

Post a Comment