Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Wisconsin Race


Ecclesiastes 9, verse 11, says, “I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong....”  I like Damon Runyon’s version better:  “The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that’s the way to bet.”
In politics, the candidate with the most money doesn’t always win.  On the other hand, when one candidate outspends the other by over two to one, that’s the way to bet.  
In the Wisconsin race as of May 21:
Republicans--$45.6 million
Democrats--17.9 million
I’d bet on Walker.
Tonight I made phone calls for Barrett, Walker’s Democratic opponent.  We called out of the Carbon County Democratic Headquarters, and it was a slick operation.  A name popped up on the laptop with address and phone number.  You called, recorded your results on the screen, pressed complete, and the next name popped up.  We called until 8 p.m., which was 7 p.m. Wisconsin time.
I told the voters I was calling from the Pennsylvania Democratic Party, and we had an interest in the race because our own governor was an admirer of Scott Walker, and we needed to send him a message.
One nasty lady yelled, “you don’t have an interest--this is a Wisconsin matter.”  After I hung up, I thought of a comeback--did you tell that to the Koch Brothers and Karl Rove?  Why do I always think of these things after I hang up?

1 comment:

  1. It's 9:30 here in the Midwest and the race has been called for Walker. This will mean that other republican governors will feel more empowered to do their evil on people.

    I'm very disappointed in the outcome. I hope that the democrats manage to win one of the four Senate seats that are up for recall. That will in essence stop Walker as the Democrats would control the Senate.

    One thing that I have learned about some Wisconsin voters is that they will cut off their nose to spite their face. Single issue voters. As I have said before, you get the government that you deserve.

    I should have sent more money to Barrett's campaign but I'm not rolling in dough like the Koch brothers.

    I fully expect a ton of money to flow into our congressional race. I will work doubly harder to defeat Joe Walsh now! On Saturday I will be canvassing again.

    ReplyDelete