Sunday, September 9, 2012

Setting Paul Carpenter straight


Morning Call columnist Paul Carpenter this morning discussed the problems of ballot access that I detailed in my previous posting.  Needless to say, I was pleased.  I was not pleased, however, that he then went on to belittle the Photo I.D. law (he called the controversy a “flap”).

He noted that Pennsylvania recently had 200,000 duplicate registrations.  I sent an email to Mr. Carpenter explaining that this was hardly an issue of fraud, pointing out that when I was registering voters and they weren’t sure whether or not they were registered, I would urge them to fill out the form anyway.  If they were already registered, the Registrar’s office would catch the duplicate.  In any case, I don’t see the relevance of the I.D. bill, since when you vote, you need to sign in, and any duplicate will be caught by the poll workers.

I doubt if you will see an acknowledgement of my email by Mr. Carpenter.  He strikes me as a man who would not like to admit he screwed up.   But he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment