Thursday, September 27, 2012

Support for Voter I.D.


According to an article in the Allentown Morning Call today, a majority of Pennsylvanians support the voter I.D. law.  That doesn’t surprise me.  People who have I.D.s can’t imagine that someone else wouldn’t have one.  It is the same mentality that was surprised when the Hurricane Katrina evacuation was ordered from New Orleans.   Authorities assumed that everyone had a car, even though thousands of people did not.  

Here’s the statistic that depressed me.  More than half of the people in the poll said they would still support the I.D. requirement even if many eligible voters would be prevented from voting because they did not have an I.D.

Do you get that?  Over half the people polled would be willing to deny a fundamental right to vote to people merely because they could not meet a bureaucratic regulation.

We are amazed that Egypt and Libya have problems with the newly emerging democratic systems.  We need to look into the mirror.  In a democracy over 200 years old, a majority of the people in Pennsylvania have no idea what democracy entails.  

No comments:

Post a Comment