Friday, September 14, 2012

Success!


I took Paul to get his photo I.D. for voting purposes today.  Paul was the first guy I took way back in July, and we failed because he didn’t have a raised seal birth certificate.  It finally came in the mail last week (cost $13.50).  We arrived at the PennDot center at 11:30 a.m.  Paul was number 9.  The number on the board was 78.  We got out of there at 1:45 p.m.  Nonetheless, we got the photo I.D.  Paul can vote in November, something he has done without a problem in past years.  He did have to swear that the I.D. he got was for voting purposes only.

I wish the judges who will rule on this law were required to help just one person get his or her photo I.D.

I will leave you with a quote from Thomas Paine.  Tea Party types don’t usually quote Thomas Paine.  First of all, he was an atheist.  Secondly, he was a true radical.  Here is what he said in his Dissertation on First Principles of Government, published in 1795.

The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected.  To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another, and he that has not a vote in the election of representatives is in this case.  

No comments:

Post a Comment