Friday, September 21, 2012

Tucker Carlson (spelling?) in Lehighton


The Republicans held an anti-Obama rally in the park in Lehighton tonight with Tucker Carlson as the featured speaker.  Mr. Carlson, I discovered, is a personality on the Fox propaganda station.  A band played oldies.  A hot dog and a drink were provided at Diggity Dog, but when I went in for my free meal, I discovered you needed a ticket and a wristband which you evidently received after you listened to the speeches.  

This was clearly a Tea Party event.  You’ve seen them--oldsters who look mean and kind of constipated.  I don’t think the rally, billed as “Prosperity for America,” attracted any people who weren’t already committed.  

I was there with a sign that said “Prosperity for the 1%,” but I left before Mr. Carlson arrived.  Linda has pointed out that my signs are too obtuse, and nobody gets them.  She’s right.  I think next time I’ll just go with “Romney sucks.”

Here are three more observations:
  1. The emphasis is against Obama, not for Romney.  I don’t believe these people like Mr. Romney very much, but they really hate Obama.
  2. Even though the people there were already committed, they turned out.  I’d say there were at least a hundred people there.  I don’t know if our side could turn out that many.  I have my doubts.  
  3. Doyle Heffley was there.  As his ads say, he’s one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment