Thursday, September 29, 2016

Can we be friends?

Last week a friend of mine said he was voting for Trump.  I looked at him incredulously, and said, “You are?  Really?”  

He laughed and said, “I hope we can still be friends.”

I have thought about this, and the answer is no.  I won’t cross the street to avoid him, and I will still be civil, but I will no longer consider him a friend.  He could have voted for McCain, and I would have been ok with that.  He could have voted for Romney, and we could be friends.  Trump, no.  


I can’t be friends with someone I don’t respect.  A person who votes for Trump does not care about this country, does not understand American values, and does not merit my friendship.  

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with some friends and family too. Seems that you cannot even get them to see what is really happening with this Trump deal. They have been caught up in this frenzy. Your post yesterday really spells it out about Trump. He is acting in the same way that Hitler did. I always say that "one should learn from history, but we never do". I guess that no one pays any attention to our past and learn from that. Also, if one recalls things the Pres. Hoover did you would also see similar things that Trump is saying he wants to do. Hoover used the immigration thing and had a lot of traffics put on. See what happened in 1929. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't other people see what we see?

    ReplyDelete