Tuesday, September 13, 2016

"Older people underrepresented in film"

That was a headline in today’s Times News.  The article noted that old people in films were seldom seen engaging with computers, cellphones, or other types of technology.  

Since I’m old, I feel qualified to comment.

Of course old people in movies aren’t shown with technological gizmos.  Many of us have thumbs too arthritic to text (if we knew how and had a phone that could do it).  We can’t even change the cartridge in our printer.  

As for movie roles, I know Meryl Streep is a great actor.  Her most recent movie entitled “Florence Foster Jenkins” was excellent, but I’d still rather watch Emma Stone.  Robert Redford is a great actor, but he is OLD and looks it.  A “Walk in the Woods” portrayed him as having difficulty on the Appalachian Trail, and I don’t think the part was much of a stretch


Have you ever noticed that old people are always whining about something?  Next they will be complaining about underrepresentation at the Olympics.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with the Times. I think movies and TV go too far in the casting of roles to 30ish actors. The worlds they inhabit look like Logan's Run. Granted that seems to be who go to the movies these days, so they are casting to their audience, but still it's unrealistic to me. The Brits are better at doing this, still using older actors, something I wish we'd do more of.

    ReplyDelete