Friday, September 23, 2016

Memos to Diggity Dog and Wentz Motors

First, some background.  I have been eating occasionally at Diggity Dog, located on 1st Street in Lehighton, for a number of years.  Our Democratic Information Center for a time was located right next door, and I liked the guys who ran the place.  If you are going in, I recommend the Mac and Cheese.  

I also found out that the owners are hot pepper aficionados, so for the past few years I have been dropping off about half a peck of hot peppers every fall.  You can imagine how upset I was to walk in and see a Trump sign facing me as I opened the front door.

I thought about this for some time, and I decided to present them with a memo entitled “The Trump sign in your place of business.”  Here’s what I wrote:

First, let me say that in all the times I have come in here, I have enjoyed the ambiance and the staff.  I have also learned a good deal about Lehighton.

Secondly, as a member of the American Civil Liberties Union, I believe strongly in the right of free speech and the First Amendment that guarantees it.

Thirdly, I will not do what Mr. Trump does, and call you names or insult your integrity.  I would, however, like to explain why I am bothered by your Trump sign.  I am sure that some of your customers are Independents, Libertarians, or Democrats.  For you to advertise a Republican Party candidate at your place of business is disrespectful to those customers.

Additionally, I personally regard Mr. Trump as a danger to this Republic and the liberties for which it stands.

For the first time in our nation’s history, he would impose a religious test on immigrants.  He made millions of dollars at the taxpayers’ expense by using questionable tax breaks.  He bribed the Attorney General of Florida to drop an investigation of Trump University.  He stiffed his creditors on numerous occasions by declaring bankruptcy, then bragged about it.  He thinks global warming is a Chinese hoax.  He doesn’t understand how the U.S. military works.  He won’t release his tax returns.  He would round up millions of people, many of whom have lived here for almost their entire lives, and dump them across the border.  He believed up to a few days ago that our president was born in Kenya.  

Hillary Clinton, Gary Johnson, and Jill Stein are not perfect candidates, but at least they don’t have the sort of thin-skinned temperament that could involve us in a nuclear war.  Trump will be a disaster if elected; he has already done incredible damage to this country by preaching hatred and violence.

And yes, you will be getting some peppers.


I presented a similar memo to Wentz Motors, another business I have used and respected, which has Trump signs in front of the business on Route 209.  I think it is important to let people know when we disapprove of their politics, especially in this election, which is not the normal election by any means.

1 comment:

  1. I understand how you feel about letting them know about how you feel with those businesses promoting politicians. I have always disliked any businesses that showed their political leanings. I have chosen a different way of doing it. I don't do business with any business that puts up political signs, etc.

    My feeling is that a business should be in business to serve all people and keep their political beliefs to themselves. A smart business person knows that you don't offend any customer. You don't see large businesses doing that, because they know this. If they want to support someone they should donate or put up signs at their homes. Just some food for thought for business people. You could also say the same thing about religion.

    ReplyDelete