Friday, May 26, 2017

Euthanize Palmerton's feral cats

I have been posting comments on this blog for years.  I have learned some lessons.  I know that I can make fun of religion, mock elected officials, use bad language, attack the Confederate flag, say just about anything political,  and no one bats an eye.  What I can’t do without bringing down the wrath of the ages is attack feral cats.

I will anyway.  Millions of songbirds are killed every year by feral cats and house cats.  I actually like cats.  I used to own one named Charlie.  (He was kept indoors.)  Cats are not part of the natural environment.  They have an instinct to hunt; it’s what they do.  In addition to birds, they kill lizards, voles, mice, snakes, baby rabbits–just about any small animal, bird, or reptile they can get their teeth into.

Feeding stations for feral cats are the completely wrong answer to an environmental problem.  A Humane Society officer was quoted that Palmerton’s restrictions on feeding stations for feral cats could be considered cruelty to animals.  When I feed rose-breasted grosbeaks, indigo buntings, and nuthatches, and a feral cat that someone dropped off at our farm lies in wait and kills the birds, am I supposed to pull the feeding station for the birds?


People, we are talking about cats.  They are animals not nearly as intelligent by any measure as pigs that people routinely kill and eat.  Let’s get real.

No comments:

Post a Comment