Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Working the polls at the Rod and Gun Club

The voters at one precinct in Towamensing Township cast their ballots at the Palmerton Rod and Gun Club.  I was there for a few hours passing out slate cards for three Palmerton Area School Board candidates.

What a difference from last November, when I worked the same polling place on behalf of the Democrats.  We live in what was then (and probably still is) Trump country, and some of the comments I received I would never publish in this blog.


Today it was completely different.  First of all the turnout was about one-tenth of last November.  Secondly, people were pleasant, smiled, and generally looked like citizens happy to exercise their responsibility.  Great day, although it is still to early to say if my candidates won.

2 comments:

  1. It was very poor turnout, I was no. 28 at 11 am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons was that many of the offices were uncontested. In Weissport and East Side there were no candidates for a number of borough offices, and quite a few of the offices had one candidate only. It may be that we elect too many officials. Should an auditor or a tax collector be an elected official? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete