Friday, May 12, 2017

Jerry Smith, 1936-2017

Linda and I worked for State Senator Jerry Smith in the 1980s.  Linda was a volunteer in his office; when her schedule made it difficult for her to volunteer, I took her place.  After some months of volunteer work, I was asked if I wanted to be a part-time Field Representative, and I jumped at the chance.  Our office staff was very Californian; suburban housewife, Latina, Japanese, a female Administrative Assistant as our boss, and a young hippie as the other part-time Field Rep.  

I worked in that office for two years until Gov. Jerry Brown appointed Smith to the Appellate Court.  In two years I was never asked to do anything illegal or immoral.  When people say that all politicians are crooks, I have evidence that not only are they not crooks, they can be as upright and moral as Jerry Smith.

Smith carried the bill that allowed for joint custody for divorced parents, which I totally supported, having used joint custody when it was a private arrangement between the divorcing parents.  He sponsored legislation to help middle aged women whose husbands divorced them to get training and re-enter the job market.  He sponsored a bill to provide access to the California Coast that is still a model for public access to ocean beaches.


I wish I had kept in better touch before he died, but I have the satisfaction of knowing how much I admired him and how much I appreciated the opportunity to work in his office.

2 comments: