Sunday, May 21, 2017

Pipeline "Blowout Picnic" at the Big Creek Grange

Linda and I sponsored a picnic for people who have been fighting the proposed PennEast/UGI fracking gas pipeline.  That’s the pipeline slated to trench through Hickory Run and Beltzville State Parks and two preserved farms in Towamensing Township, including ours.

The picnic was potluck, featured a really great Jim Thorpe duo for the musical entertainment.  We also raised over $1000 to continue the fight.  I am aware that PennEast/UGI is a multi-billion dollar consortium, but you have no doubt heard of David and Goliath.  Efforts by people like us have already delayed the project by at least two years.  

Today was a fun day.  About half the attendees were landowners affected by the pipeline.  The other half were people who care about the environment, who think eminent domain for private corporation profit is just wrong, or who think it is time we move from fossil fuels to renewable resources.  


It was a great afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. We had a great day there. Even though we are not effected with construction I see this as an environment scar to our area that will last for many a year. Glad we could contribute to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not own a farm, but as far as I'm concerned, I have a stake in Carbon County. My tax dollars help pay for Beltzville State Park. Over the years my family has spent much time there, enjoying the outdoors, so I have a vested interest in keeping it as beautiful and non-polluted as possible. We have to keep fighting in any way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was impressed by the support we had from people who were not directly affected but are ultimately affected by what this pipeline will do to Pennsylvania's environment.

    ReplyDelete