Saturday, May 27, 2017

Philadelphia drops behind Phoenix

According to the latest population statistics recently reported in the Morning Call, Philadelphia has dropped below Phoenix to the number six spot.  The top five are New York, L.A., Chicago, Houston, and Phoenix.

Unfortunately for Phoenix, while it may be #5 in population, it is not a real city.  It is a bunch of suburbs stuck together with shopping malls and cul-de-sacs.  I’ve been to both cities.  Philadelphia has restaurants, world class museums, Fairmont Park, South Street, Chinatown, Independence Mall, Penn’s Landing, the University of Pennsylvania and Temple, the Phillies, the Flyers, the Eagles, the zoo, boathouse row, and so much more.


I can’t remember anything in Phoenix except I couldn't wait to get to Tucson.  

2 comments:

  1. Agree. These western cities have so much land that they have incorporated into there city limits. There is not way that many of our cities will ever compete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing: when I went to visit my daughter when she lived in Scottsdale, she picked me up at the Phoenix airport. As we were driving around I noticed that almost ALL of the buildings, including houses, stores, even whole shopping centers, were various shades of tan/brown/beige. I swear we drove past a mall and I didn't notice it because it all blends in with the desert around it. I asked her about it and she said she thought it was law and I believe her because there were zero colored houses that I saw. Very boring, I thought. Also, way too hot for me. I don't know how people live through a whole summer there, stuck in the air conditioning. I know it's "dry heat" so supposedly you don't feel it as much, but at 105ยบ, does it really matter?

    By the way, I love Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete