Sunday, November 26, 2017

A lesson on eggs

In Europe eggs are seldom refrigerated.  Washing eggs is not required, and, in fact, is against the law in France.  Eggs have a natural protective film that prevents Salmonella from entering the eggs.  Because European eggs retain that film, there is no need to refrigerate them.

In the U.S. the Department of Agriculture requires commercial egg producers to clean and sanitize the eggs, which involves washing.  The washing process removes the dirt and possible fecal matter, but it also removes the protective film.  That means the eggs must be kept in a location where the temperature does not exceed 45 degrees Fahrenheit.  That prevents any condensation from building up on the egg surface, which in turn allows Salmonella to penetrate the shell.  

With a flock of 13 chickens, I don’t wash the eggs, although I do sometimes wipe them if they are dirty.  I also refrigerate them, since that is what most people expect.  There are times I wish I lived in France.


Actually, since January 20 of this year, I really wish I lived in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment