Monday, November 27, 2017

Deer Season

I’m not much of a hunter.  When I was in high school deer hunters often met in our house.  The sun was barely up, it was cold, sometimes snowing, and I was always happy to go to school rather than into the woods.  I hunted a few times, but I never saw a deer, probably because I made too much noise and scared them away.

Nonetheless, I absorbed some lessons from my dad, an excellent deer hunter.  First, always be sure of your target.  If you are not absolutely sure, don’t shoot.  Yesterday a woman was killed in Western New York by a guy who shot a pistol at what he thought was a deer, after sunset. It is illegal to hunt after sunset, and obviously the shooter could not see what he was shooting at.  He knew something was wrong when he heard a scream.

Another lesson was never put a loaded gun away.  Always make sure it is empty of bullets.  When I put away my 22, I always pumped it once, pointed it to the ceiling, and pulled the trigger just to make sure it was empty.  One time it wasn’t, and I shot into the ceiling, but better into the ceiling than into a person.  Yesterday a three-year-old kid in Philadelphia shot herself with a gun that was put away loaded.  


My dad was a wise man.

No comments:

Post a Comment