Saturday, October 13, 2018

Frost!

My sister gets nostalgic for that day in the fall when a frost warning was issued.  We hooked a trailer to the tractor and the entire family turned out to gather all the vegetables that were still in the field.  Any squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, gourds, cantaloupes, watermelons, peppers, or anything else still growing was picked to save it from the frost.  

When we were kids this frost warning usually came in about mid-September.  Now it comes in early or mid-October because of global warming, but it does happen.  Tonight we may have a frost, so I went out this afternoon and picked the few tomatoes that were left and all of the peppers. I simply cut off the whole pepper plants and threw them on the back of the truck.  


I have lots of peppers, including scotch bonnets, jalapeños, habeñeros, chiles, Hungarian wax, and cayennes.  Tomorrow or Monday I’lll sit on the tailgate and sort them out.  Most of them I’ll give to friends, but Linda and I will also make a few batches of salsa that would make you cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment