Friday, October 13, 2023

Door hangers in Weissport

The borough of Weissport was once a canal port on the Delaware and Lehigh Canal network connecting the anthracite coal fields to Philadelphia.  It contained banks, furniture stories, a canal boat repair facility, and was a thriving little town.  Ben Franklin was in charge of building a fort there (Fort Allen) during the French and Indian Wars.  


Now it has Mario’s Pizza and Central Lunch (both recommended by me), a beer distributor, a really good ice cream shop, and a number of older houses that have been converted into small apartments.  It is not a wealthy town.  


Today I hung Democratic Party literature on all the doors where fellow Democrats live.  In a few cases I couldn’t get into the apartment buildings, but overall it went well, and I covered the whole town.  When you are distributing door hangers you don’t talk to many people, but everyone with whom I did interact was friendly and pleasant.  I like Weissport.  I feel at home there.

No comments:

Post a Comment