Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities

Does it ever seem like almost everyone in Carbon County, Pennsylvania, is old? I know kids live here; two school buses pass my house each day.  Nonetheless, if you are in a store or a restaurant, notice all the white hair, canes, and walkers.  This area is just full of old people, and I am one of them.


It turns out there is a name for this phenomenon.  Areas of old people are called “Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities,” or NORCs.   The Sept./Oct. issue of “Rural Perspectives,” published by the Center for Rural Pennsylvania, notes that NORCs are increasing in Pennsylvania, especially in rural counties.


Using 2020 Census data, and looking at Census Block Groups (a small geographical area having a population of 600-3000 people) in which more than 50% of the population was 60 or over, the Center produced a map.  If I counted correctly, Carbon County has 12 of these NORCs. 

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't say we were old, but the first thing I do when I go to a gathering is review the CPR card in my wallet! :0

    ReplyDelete