Friday, May 10, 2024

The Fall Guy

At one point in my life I was seeing approximately a movie a week.  I loved movies, perhaps because I saw so few growing up.  I audited a film class in grad school, and I helped to develop and taught a course in “political films” at San José State. 


Now I must drive at least 25 miles to see a movie.  As I probably complained before, Carbon County, PA, does not have a single movie theater, although Palmerton once had three, Lehighton two, and Nesquehoning and Lansford at least one each.


Today we drove to Stroudsburg to see “The Fall Guy” with Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt.  It’s a romantic comedy, partly about making movies.  (Hollywood loves movies about making movies.)  It had its moments, but like so many movies today, it was about 40 minutes too long.  The saddest thing was that there was only one other person in the theater.  No wonder movie theaters are disappearing.

2 comments:

  1. We have a small movie theater here in Split Rock. But the expense of movies and the concessions, the drop in the price of large screen TVs, and the fact that you pause a streaming video to stretch or relieve yourself makes going to movies less attractive.

    ReplyDelete