Thursday, May 2, 2024

Everybody counts or nobody counts

That’s the mantra of Detective Harry Bosch in the crime novels by Michael Connelly.  I thought about that when I read about El Fasher, the last city in Darfur in Sudan that is still controlled by the military.  The city is surrounded by the Rapid Support Forces, a paramilitary group that is brutal and already responsible for the deaths of thousands.


El Fasher currently has about 1.3 million people, including hundreds of thousands who fled there to escape the violence.  A U.S. envoy to the U.N. said the city was on the precipice of a massacre.


I have yet to hear of a campus protest about this.  I have yet to hear about this on MSNBC or CNN, although I have heard much about a rather meaningless trial in Manhattan.  In fact, I have only read one article about El Fasher, and that was three days ago on page A9 of the New York Times.  


I’ll admit I could have missed something.  Maybe Truth Social or Fox have been reporting on El Fasher.  Maybe there have been posts on Facebook or X.

1 comment: