Thursday, June 13, 2024

Climbing Mt. Everest

I was eleven years old when Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary reached the top of Mt. Everest.  It was one of those things that happen when you are a kid that for some reason you remember.  Maybe I remember because Tenzing Norgay is an odd name, but I was impressed.


Today’s New York Times has a picture of dozens of “mountain climbers” ascending to the top of Mt Everest.  It looks like one of those old photos of the Klondike gold rush.  The article details how these “climbers,” with their expensive equipment and “bucket lists,” are putting their Sherpa guides in danger, some of whom die while they cater to the rich jerks who hire them.  


Here’s what I propose.  If you are planning to climb Mt. Everest, you must use the same clothing, the same gear, and the same route that Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary used.  Then I’ll be impressed.  Otherwise, shut up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment