Friday, July 1, 2011

The Christman Brothers

In the 1950s and 60s, when I was a youngster, our farm was owned and operated  by the Christman Brothers--my father Elwood and my uncles Marvin and Leon and their families.  Marvin also ran a bulldozer and sometimes made as much money in a year excavating farm ponds and cellars as the crops brought in.  My father contributed two kids (my sister and me) to the labor force.  My Uncle Leon kept the financial records--of the three he was the only high school graduate.
Each brother could make a legitimate claim to a larger share of the income.  Nonetheless, at the end of the year, the profits were split into thirds.  Nobody complained, nobody felt cheated.  
In the 60s, when hippies were forming co-ops and communal farms, I realized I had grown up on one.  You learned to do your work and take your share without complaint.  You learned not to be selfish.  You learned not to whine.  
My Uncle Leon, the last of the Christman Brothers, died earlier this week.  He was my last living uncle, and I will miss him.  

2 comments:

  1. Our sympathy on the loss of your uncle, Roy...I appreciated your thoughtful remembrance of how you grew up surrounded by a loving extended family... You were a hippie on a commune before they were hip! Guess that's why we like you so much, Roy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget a day over 30 years ago when I worked in the First National Bank of Palmerton, and I came up short $100. I looked and looked through my work, but by the end of the day figured I'd just have to take it as a loss, something we tellers hated to do. Then, before the bank closed, Leon Christman came to my window and handed me $100 and told me I had given him too much cash back from his check.

    I thanked him profusely, telling him that most people wouldn't be that honest, but would keep the extra money. He said, "Oh no, I could never do that!" I guess this always stuck in my mind because Leon was Uncle Elwood's brother. I always thought he was a very nice man, and after that day I also knew he was a very honest one.

    ReplyDelete