Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Setting Barletta straight

My congressman Lou Barletta was quoted in today’s Morning Call saying everyone he talked to encouraged him to vote against raising the debt ceiling. I write to Rep. Barletta fairly often, and I don’t want to be one of those cranks who are constantly writing letters, but I couldn’t let a comment like that go by unanswered.  Here is a copy of my letter to Mr. Barletta.
Dear Congressman Barletta:
The Morning Call quoted you this morning as saying, “I have not had anyone come up and disagree with what we’re doing.”  I find that hard to believe--what you are doing with the budget and the debt ceiling is not only bad economics, it is a danger to our country’s security.  
Seldom has there been such a disconnect between a representative and his constituents.  You represent a district with high unemployment, a large number of retirees, and a stagnant economy, yet your main interests seem to be attacking immigrants and protecting the wealthy.  
Drive around your district and talk to some people.  I think you will find quite a few who disagree with you.  Please start representing us and not the Tea Party and Grover Norquist.
I’m guessing this letter will be ignored.  All the others were.

3 comments:

  1. I know for a fact that the MoveOn.org organization organized progressives in his district to meet at his Wilkes-Barre office today (tuesday) around noon to tell him to raise the debt ceiling.

    I wasn't able to watch the local news tonight to see how many showed up. But I read articles about these rallies at other congressmen's offices

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally had at him about the debt ceiling vote the same night that Linda gave him an earful on the Ryan budget. It seems like its time to show up at his public appearances and make sure that cameras hear the objections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently wrote to him about having the ultra-rich pay their fare share in taxes and received no reply.

    ReplyDelete