Friday, July 15, 2011

Money and Natural Gas

If you think that Pennsylvania will impose any kind of meaningful regulatory control over the natural gas industry’s drilling practices, let me quote you a headline and the first paragraph of an article at the bottom of page 4 of today’s New York Times business section:
BHP Billiton Adding Shale Natural Gas Assets With Petrohawk Deal
BPH Billiton said Thursday that it would buy Petrohawk Energy for about $12.1 billion in cash, as the mining giant continues its quest for shale natural gas assets.  
I try not to be cynical.  I continue to believe that individual citizens working together can make a difference.  Nonetheless, I have little hope of affecting policy when two energy companies I never even heard of are tossing billions of dollars around for natural gas.  I feel like the grass as a herd of elephants approaches.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a good website. Be sure to read the Impact article on how drilling puts a strain on community services.

    http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/

    ReplyDelete