Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I hate when that happens

It’s one thing to be wrong, but it’s even worse to issue pronouncements for the world to see and then realize you made a big mistake.  On June 30 I wrote that the 14th Amendment’s section on debt precluded the need for debt ceiling legislation.  I said that I had taught Con Law and never realized that.  
Perhaps the reason I didn’t realize that was because it wasn’t true.  Lawrence Tribe, who teaches Con Law at Harvard and knows the subject way better than I evidently do. points out that if a President is able to raise the debt ceiling and borrow money, that President has usurped budgetary powers specifically granted to Congress by the Constitution.  
Sorry.
I’m also considering a reevaluation of my position against hunting wolves in Montana.  Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment