Sunday, February 23, 2014

Rendezvous at Bert's Steakhouse


This afternoon seven volunteers met at Bert’s in Palmerton to have a cup of coffee and pick up our voter lists and petitions to get signatures to put Patti Borger’s name on the ballot.  A state representative candidate needs 300 signatures of registered voters from his or her party.  The advantage of having an official voter list is that you know the signature is good and can’t be challenged.

The main problem was icy sidewalks.  People were invariably nice--even the ones (and there were two) who turned us down.  I did see one person through the window who didn’t open the door, but she may have thought we were proselytizing and wanted to avoid a religious discussion.  

I was most disappointed with the woman whose husband worked nights and was sleeping.  She wasn’t on our list, but I asked her “Are you a Democrat?”  She announced “I don’t vote.”  I didn’t ask why, didn’t criticize.  I’ve learned that it does no good, but I never understand it.

By the way, we should hit the 300 mark tomorrow.  We’ll get three or four hundred more just for good measure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment