Saturday, February 22, 2014

Shirt Sleeves in Sochi


Earlier this week we had long heavy icicles hanging from our roof.  I’ve shoveled a path to the chicken coop at least five times, and I had a hard time carrying water up because the snow was so high on the sides of the path.  Our rain gutter lies on the ground twisted and ruined; it came down when the snow slid off the roof.  Now I’m worried that I might not have had enough anti-freeze in the tractor’s radiator.  So where is this global warming?

It’s here.  According to an article in yesterday’s Times entitled “Freezing January for Easterners Was Not Felt Round the World,” this has been the fourth warmest winter on record.  Temperatures in Alaska were 15 degrees above normal, and we have seen the pictures of people walking around Sochi in shorts and tee shirts.  

No state set a record for January cold.  Perhaps one reason we think it’s so cold is because we have been experiencing a series of mild winters.  I can remember as a kid being snowed in for days.  Blizzards with drifts.  Temperatures below zero for days on end.  

Another thing we forget is how we are not the world.  The U.S. makes up less than 2% of the earth’s surface.  We have to look beyond Delaware Avenue or Catawissa Street.  There’s a big world out there, and it is getting warmer, and humans are the cause.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to email you but I read your blog first so I figured I would post on here......

    I watched yesterday's Bill Maher on HBO. On the show, Racheal Maddow states that California is having a drought and in fact the this drought has record about 50% less rainfall THAN THE PREVIOUS DROUGHT. Yes, previous drought, not average rainfall.

    For all the political issues I fight for, the environment was literally last on my list. I am far more of an economic liberal than anything else. But sadly, today I will admit.... I think we have tipped the earth into climate change and we are going to suffer. Big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping we haven't reached the tipping point, but if we haven't, it won't be long. We'll probably be ok. I just pity our kids and grandkids.

    ReplyDelete