Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Why Algebra


Like high school students everywhere, I was forced to take algebra.  Almost all of the college prep kids in my school went on to take a semester of calculus and a semester of trigonometry.  I managed to substitute a course called “Problems of Democracy,” taught by a right-wing Republican, but at least I understood the subject matter.

The college I picked (Ursinus) did not require any kind of math course to graduate, which is, of course, why I picked it.  The requirement was added a few years after I graduated, but I had escaped by that time.

Here’s the thing.  I went through life without ever needing the algebra I never really learned.

Nicholson Baker, in an article entitled “Wrong Answer” that appeared in Harper’s last year noted the despair kids experience trying to master a subject that seems impossible.  Here’s what he wrote:

The reason these kids are upset is that they are required to do something they can’t do.  They are forced, repeatedly, to stare at hairy, square-rooted, polynomialed horseradish clumps of mute symbology that irritate them, that stop them in their tracks, that they can’t understand.  The homework is unrelenting, the algorithms get longer and trickier, the quizzes keep coming.  Sooner or later, many of them hit the wall.  They fail the course and have to take it again.  And then again.  

As a result, they feel angry, dumb, sometimes downright suicidal.  

I have nothing against people who grasp this stuff, who even like this stuff.  I just don’t see why everyone should be forced to deal with it, or why it is in the Common Core, or even what purpose it serves for most of us.

4 comments:

  1. I took the course in Algebra and wondered why. After returning from the Air Force and a Govt job I found myself getting into the field of electronics.
    As it turned out I needed to calculate impedance designs dealing with specialty printed circuits boards. I am very proud of things that I was involved with designing test fixtures to support our companies efforts with large semi-conductor producers of chips for the cell phone industry. I guess that one never knows how the wheel turns. Take the course. It may come to help you later in life and then maybe never. Just be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Roy. And if fact, I am bad at Math. I guess I just don't have the brain for it. I honestly, think all students should take one year of Alegebra and the students who want STEM careers should move forward with it while the other students should do something else.

    There is a meme on Facebook which goes something like this:

    In school,

    I never learned how to pay my taxes, how to vote, how to register to vote, balance a checkbook or manage credit.

    But at least I learned the Pythagorean Theorem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although George, I would have LOVED to learn how to work with circuit boards!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many times I've had people say to me about various computer programs, "oh, it's really easy." It's easy if you know how to do it. I have no problem with poetry, or Jane Austin novels, or the causes of World War I, but I simply don't get algebra. And it isn't because I didn't try. I can't draw at all, and I don't think no matter how hard I practice, I would be good at it. I think people have abilities in different areas. Imagine a school in which everyone was forced to learn to draw. Why force students to take algebra?

    ReplyDelete