Thursday, December 17, 2015

Gun Control

Readers occasionally ask me how I decide what to write about.  My problem isn’t that I have to search for topics.  It’s that I must decide what NOT to write about.

Tonight, for example, I could have posted about the new Star Wars movie, or the two men who were exonerated after serving 33 years in prison for setting a fire that they could not have set, or the Democratic Executive Board’s holiday party in Nesquehoning, or the Fed raising the interest rate for the first time in 10 years, or Trump’s proposal to kill children of terrorists.

Instead I decided to quote some of the statements on guns by candidates of one of the two major U.S. parties that were printed in today’s Times:

Ben Carson:  “I never saw a body with bullet holes that was more devastating than taking the right to arm ourselves away.”

Marco Rubio:  “Gun laws fail everywhere they’re tried.”  (Not true in countries that have enacted controls.)

Donald Trump:  “You’re going to have these things happen and it’s a horrible thing to behold.”

Ted Cruz:  “You get rid of the bad guys by using our guns.  We define gun control real simple–that’s hitting what you aim at.”


and Jeb! Bush this past October:  “Look, stuff happens,” and in 2003 at an N.R.A. convention.  “The sound of our guns is the sound of freedom!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment