Sunday, July 10, 2016

Free advice to "Black Lives Matter" from an old white guy

First of all, I understand the irritation of many people with the name of the movement.  Conservatives are fond of saying, “But all lives matter.”  I don’t think most of them give a damn, but the name is bothersome to me as well.  The white cops killed in Dallas obviously matter.  We have way too much violence in this country, some a result of bad policing, but much a result of a society with way too many guns and too little sense.

I understand that the title came from a hashtag.  I’m not even sure what a hashtag is, and I don’t have any great suggestions for improvement.  “All lives matter” sounds like an anti-abortion group.  Perhaps “Our lives matter” might do it.  At least it’s inclusive.

Secondly, don’t alienate your potential supporters.  I remember how angry I was when people flew North Vietnam flags at anti-war demonstrations.  All it did was irritate potential allies.  Blocking traffic on an Interstate highway makes people mad.  It gains no allies.  When I saw that, who do you think I identified with–the demonstrators or the people caught in the traffic jam?

Finally, hold off on the demonstrations and show some sympathy for the people of Dallas.  Your point is made.  I remember telling my classes at least 15 years ago about an infraction cops often charged African-American drivers with.  They gave them a DWB.  That meant, of course, “driving while black.”  At that time, I don’t think many of my white and Asian students believed me.  


Today they would understand.  And, more importantly, so do police departments all across America.  More and more departments are updating their training, widening their recruitment, installing cameras, and improving their procedures. Change is often incremental, but it does occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment