Friday, July 8, 2016

Saying goodbye to Gavin

After spending six days on a cross country-trip and ten more days on the farm with our ten-year-old grandson Gavin, we said goodbye today.  Gavin will be returning to California, and yes, we are sad.

When John Maynard Keyes was asked about the long-run effects of deficit spending, he replied something to the effect that in the long run we are all dead.  When I first heard that, I thought it was incredibly clever. 

Now that we have a grandson, it doesn’t feel clever at all.  We might be dead, but our grandson will still be here.  The second largest lake in Bolivia is bone dry from climate change.  The world’s population continues to grow at an alarming rate.  Terrorists are active all over the Middle East and in Africa.  In my own country, it is obvious that people no longer know how to behave in a democratic and peaceful manner.


Thirty years from now Linda and I will be gone, but Gavin will be 40.  What kind of country and world will he live in?  It is that question that keeps me doing my best to make this world a better place, and I feel like time is running out.

1 comment:

  1. We feel the same thing. Our Grandsons are 7 and 10. Hope culture of our country will see changes to the better.

    ReplyDelete